This staff position combines two essential administrative responsibilities for general management of the Office of Dental Admissions: Admissions Specialist duties for all dental educational programs at the School of Dentistry and Administrative Assistant duties supporting the Director of Dental Admissions and the Assistant Director of Dental Admissions. These positions also supervise student employees , Admissions Ambassadors and provide management for the Dental Admissions Committee, our Saturday Admissions Interview Days, and other events related to the dental admissions program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Support dental admissions functions and processes through preparing, maintaining, and monitoring completion of applicant files for the graduate residency programs including but not limited to: periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, accelerated dental program and advanced education in general dentistry/AEGD.
(2) Manage and monitor departmental data and documents through electronic data entry, file preparation, admissions software programs, university information systems, and filing.
(3) Analyze and assess documents to ensure compliance with requirements for the Dental Admissions Process and University admissions policies, including compliance with School of Dentistry and University accrediting bodies. Input all information for matriculated students into Banner, manage all application fees and deposits, track applicant status on all documents required for admission.
(4) Act as a liaison to candidates through assisting completion and comprehension of each step of the dental admissions process using all communication process and external systems. Advise applicants of documents outstanding to facilitate application completion.
(5) Compose correspondence related to the dental admissions processes to applicants and prospective applicants. This includes Letters of Acceptance, Admissions status updates, emails regarding interviews, and other correspondence related to the admissions process from program interest through matriculation.
(6) Respond to all inquiries regarding programs for admission, including a high volume of phone, email, and walk in inquiries. Respond to questions from applicants in the admissions pool throughout the process in a highly professional manner.
(7) Attend annual American Dental Education Association mid-year meetings as assigned by the Director of Dental Admissions for updates related to admissions software, dental admissions processes, compliance and legal issues, etc.
(8) Assist the School of Dentistry Office of Dental Admissions Director of Admissions Program Directors in scheduling interviews for applicants, advising appointments, Dental Admissions Committee meetings, training sessions for Interviewers and student Admissions Ambassadors.
(9) Provide coordination, support, document preparation, and necessary information for the Dental Admissions Committee, Admissions Saturday Interview Days, Dental Admissions Committee meetings, and supervision for the Admissions Ambassadors.
(10) Provide tours for prospective applicants, school groups, pipeline programs, and pre-dental programs as assigned. Work collaboratively with Office of Diversity & Inclusion for pipeline programs and provide support to meet the goals for recruitment of qualified underrepresented minority & disadvantaged applicants.
(11) Organize, participate, and provide coordination as appropriate for annual events related to Dental Admissions and/or University events, including (but not limited to) Orientation Week, Saturday Interview Days, White Coat Ceremony, Accepted Students Day, etc.
(12) Perform other duties as assigned.
A college degree.
Experience with Banner, AADSAS (Centralized Application Services), a plus. Background in Admissions, especially professional school admissions would be preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and ability to handle several on-going projects at once. Requires attention to detail and proficiency at computer including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
$16.88 per hour
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, with some evenings and weekends as needed.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9924-CL001-0602-1063
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.